Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Torn

I'm a total bargain shopper.

I buy most of my clothes twice a year at the Barney's Warehouse Sale. I shop sales and consignment shops. I'm all about Century 21 and Loehmann's. I love a good deal.

This is all to say that while I may love my Louboutins, my awesome new Manolos or any number of designer things in my closet, ain't no way I'm paying full price for anything. Ever. Not even in the same universe as full-price.

Except, well. I really need a bag to carry over my wedding weekend. And I've looked at sales, and Off-5th, and at my favorite rich lady consignment shops on the upper east side. But I haven't found one that works. So I'm thinking, for the first time in my life, of buying something that I find to be insanely priced. But look at it, it's glorious (not sure yet what color I prefer so I'll show you both that I'm considering):





And...it's like $1200. I get sick thinking of blowing that kind of money on a bag. It's so not me! But Balenciaga has had a hold on me for awhile. It's the only bag I ever notice anyone carrying and the only bag I've coveted. So do I just bite the bullet and get it? In the grand vision of the wedding, $1200 seems but a blip. But in real life, $1200 is a weekend getaway to Vegas or the Caribbean, something I appreciate much more than objects.

Urg! Do I give in to wedding insanity and just do it?

13 comments:

  1. You're allowed to go crazy- I bought myself a Raymond Weil watch as a wedding present (which, oops, was on top of Mark's beautiful charm bracelet he got me), and I love it. And seriously, you're helping the economy....... And SERIOUSLY? This bag is to die for. I especially love the mint/blue/green/ocean colored one. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, $1200! Do you realize how many trips to Di Fara that is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have $1200 to spare, I say all the power to ya! If you are barely getting by (wedding plans included...) then no way.

    Anyone looking to get you a gift? Parents? Fiance?

    Any chance of you falling in love with something less expensive???

    (LOVE THE BLUE!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! is there something magical about $1200 bag? From my post of 3 days ago:
    Looking at my financial statements in February I realized - all the saving, scraping and denying things to myself the year before only resulted in 5-figure loss, even with all the possible prudent measures I took and advice I followed. I could have bought that $1,200 Bally purse! I could have gone on a relaly spectacular vacation…but that would not have long-lasting effect, anyway - besides fond memories. So, I decided to invest in myself, to get something that will last while I last. I decided to get LASIK.

    And I don't even get married!
    So, to your question: Bag? yes. Color? aqua

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. Take the $1200 and treat yourself to something extra during the honeymoon. Or, take the $1200 and start saving up for that house, or baby bills, or that great NYC luxury - a car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't kill me, guys, but I'm leaning toward the white one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can appreciate the white one, but the aqua is simple divine. AND, you'll get more use out of the aqua one, thereby lessening the guilt factor by at least 2.

    BTW, we wish you and IC all the happiness in the world. All I can say is married life is simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Balenciaga.

    Do it!

    (Wow, do we actually agree on something? I'd pick the white too.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't do it! $1200 is too much for a purse. But if you do, I think the white is actually more practical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is almost a $1,000 less: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/49929931/c/14.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got it! The white one! It's beautifullllllllllllllll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel ya on the bargain shopping. its cute. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I vote no bag at $1200. No purse could ever, ever, ever be worth that. Come on, you can find some really great bags for under a third of that price.

    ReplyDelete